My Menu for Meatless Monday
Breakfast- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal w/ sliced banana, soymilk and coffee
Snack- Lowfat raspberry Greek yogurt
Lunch- Hummus and veggie wrap on Joseph’s Lavash Bread, Clementine, baby carrots
Dinner- Spinach salad with vinegar, eggplant parmesan and Dreamfield’s pasta
Makes 6 servings
1 medium eggplant, sliced into ½” inch
½ cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/3 cup canola oil
1.5 cups of marinara sauce, plus more for pasta
1.5 cups of part skim, shredded mozzarella
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 pound pasta, (whole grain preferred)
- Dredge the eggplant in flour, dip in egg, and dip in the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, let heat for 3-5 minutes. Test the temperature by spraying a small amount of water in the pan, it should sizzle when the oil is hot enough.
- Place eggplant slices in hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from oil and set aside on plate covered in paper towels.
- Place ½ cup of marinara sauce in bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Place single layer of eggplant on top. Spread 1-2 Tbsp of sauce on each slice of eggplant, top with 2-3 Tbsp of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Nutrition Facts: 2 slices eggplant parmesan and 1 cup cooked pasta
540 calories, 24 g fat (6 g saturated), 700 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 24 g protein.