Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Big Picture

This is a spur of the moment kind of thing.  I know its cliche, but starting a blog never crossed my mind until about 15 minutes ago when I thought it would be more fun to write for the world rather than talking or typing to myself.

I am not looking for stardom or anything like that.  I am here to share my pursuit for wellness through food and delicious cooking.  Now I'm not talking about boring recipes or dieting.  Wellness goes beyond the numbers on the scale, physical fitness, or the pursuit for perfection.  It's about being happy with yourself, making the most of your life, and learning to embrace change.

By day I am a dietetic intern trying to stay sane.  In other words, I am in "training" to be a Registered Dietitian.  I did not enter this field to tell others how to eat, what to eat, or why to eat.  I found a true connection with my love for food and how well it can pair with health.  I have an intense desire for flavor, but I use my background in nutrition to make meals fun for those of all cooking levels and daredevil food enthusiasts.

So here I am, just another food junkie addicting my life to a profession trying to understand how our bodies work and utilize food.  But I'm more than that.  Follow my thoughts as I experiment with new recipes, revise those not-so-good-for-you-foods, vent to the world, and update you on the ever-changing world of nutrition.  To end the night I leave you with a recipe to start your day off right... with a nice cup of coffee or tea of course!!!!

p.s. I'm not a huge fan of recipes because I feel like they can only get better--that there are new flavors to try.. but heres for those who need a baseline or are too afraid to experiment... at least for the time being.
Disclaimer!..This is a mixture of a recipe that I just made this week and one that I just came across.  Hope it comes out alright!  Tell me what you think... if anyone's out there.

Get into the season!
I used butter alternative, splenda, and applesauce to lighten up these muffins.  Whole grains provide more nutritional value, including B vitamins, fiber, among other components.  The nuts provide extra protein and umph for your morning as well as those heart healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats.
The frosting is totally up to you, but I would suggest...

Pumpkin Bars with light(er) cream cheese frosting
Makes 2 dozen Bars or 1 dozen muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh (I was daring and used a pie pumpkin, roasted and pureed it.. awesome for the flavor!!!!)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup Brown Sugar Splenda Blend (or 1/2 cup packed brown sugar for full sugar)
3 Tbsp canola oil
3 Tbsp chopped pecans

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper thingys or use cooking spray to line a 9x13 cooking pan.
 *Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
*Mix egg, pumpkin, Brown sugar (or splenda mix, applesauce, and oil.
*Make well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients and nuts. Stir until mixed, but not too much!
* Scoop batter into muffin tray or sprayed pan.  Bake about 18-20 minutes or until you poke the center with a toothpick (or a knife if you don't keep toothpicks around). Make frosting while baking!!!
*Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.  If you made muffins, take them out of the pan to let them cool off.  If you made bars just wait another 10 minutes or until cool to the touch


Frosting
1/2 cup Brummel and Brown butter spread, softened (half the calories and fat of reg. butter, no trans fats, made with yogurt)
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 t vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. After the pumpkin product is cooled, frost as desired.  Frost lightly for a lower calorie treat or breakfast with more pumpkiny flavor

Enjoy your lighter pumpkin breakfast bars and tune in next time for some tips, recipes, or whatever I feel like blogging about in my world of nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!