Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Meatless Mondays...

So, I know it is Tuesday, but it was a crazy Memorial Day yesterday and I didn't have time to post.
By the way, most definitely did not have a Meatless Monday because I enjoyed the most delicious burger for the holiday.  Anyways, I want to start a new weekly tradition and prepare and post a vegetarian dinner every Monday, so here it goes.
Some may call me a flexatarian.  I do eat meat and poultry, but I also eat a lot of vegetarian meals because I am on a budget, and its good for you every once in a while.  I pile on the veggies and include some sort of protein and make some awesome, very flavorful dishes!

It was really hot today, and I was craving some Italian so I went for something light and easy to make!
You can substitute your favorite vegetables or pasta to make it to your liking!


PASTA PRIMAVERA
 (Serves 6) 
~1 1/4 cup pasta portions

1 pound of pasta (whole wheat preferred)
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 small onion, sliced
1 head of broccoli, in pieces
1 red pepper, sliced
2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Pepper, to taste
Dried basil and oregano, to taste





Boil water to cook the pasta.  Add pasta when water is boiling.  Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in large frying pan over medium heat, add garlic and cook until aromatic and golden.  Add onions, and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Add the remaining vegetables and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Toss the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil and Parmesan to the pasta.  Serve vegetables over the pasta and viola! Serve with a side salad to complete the meal.

Nutrition Facts:
~375 calories, 54 g carbohydrates, 13 g fat, 14 g protein, 11 g fiber, 160 mg sodium.

*Whole wheat pasta is a better choice because it is made with the whole grain and has more fiber than white pasta.  If you are trying it for the first time, try mixing it with regular pasta.  Dreamfields pasta is amazing in flavor and high in fiber and helps control blood sugar.  More to come on Dreamfields...


I challenge you to join me in my quest to make healthy Meatless Monday meals... (Alliteration at its best).  Follow me on Mondays for new vegetarian-friendly recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!