Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Meatless Monday... Open-faced Sauteed Mushroom Pesto Sandwich!

Today is Monday.  I have been trying to go meat-free on Mondays because vegetarian meals can be delicious and healthy!  I decided to make pesto and paired it on a sandwich with tomatoes, mushrooms,  mozzarella cheese and a side salad.  It came out so good!

I bought the most beautiful bunch of basil at the farmers market on Friday.  Unfortunately I did not get to use it right off so it started to wilt a bit so I turned it into pesto.  Instead of using pine nuts, I decided to use almonds, just to experiment with flavors and to save a little money.  It came out absolutely delicious and I didn't even miss the pine nuts.

Open-faced Mushroom Pesto Sandwiches
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 cups of mushrooms
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 slices of tomato
1/2 cup of pesto
4 slices of fresh mozzarella (part-skim)
8 slices of good quality bread (I used a roasted garlic Italian loaf)


Directions:
Sautee the olive oil and garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes.  Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes.  Toast the bread and put 2 Tbsp of pesto on top.  Layer the mushrooms, tomato, and cheese and top with extra fresh basil, place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese.  Serve with a side salad or seasonal vegetable.

Nutrition facts: 2 slices of bread with toppings and side salad
~350-400 calories, 20 g protein, 25 g carbohydrates, 15 g fat, 7 g fiber, 500 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!