Monday, August 15, 2011

"Lightened Up" Curry Chicken Wrap with Thai Curry Veggies

After having an awesome roaster chicken this weekend I had a ton of extra chicken meat left that I knew would make an awesome chicken salad.  AND I knew I would have just enough for my homemade chicken soup too, which made me that much happier.  I was in the mood for some Indian spice, so I did a curry chicken salad with my own pizzaz.  The result: Curry chicken salad made with greek yogurt, grapes, apples, and celery...man was this yummy.  I had planned on serving it over mixed greens as an entree salad, but because of the rain I decided to heat it up in a wrap, yum!  I decided the leftovers will make an awesome salad for lunch tomorrow.  When you order chicken salad from a deli or grocery store it is usually loaded with mayonnaise and uses white and dark meat.  Make this recipe for a healthier version that doesn't skimp on taste!

Transform leftover cooked chicken into a new, delicious meal that is ready in a snap!  Using greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise cuts down on fat and calories and adds extra protein and an awesome tangy flavor.  And adding fruits and vegetables really stretches the amount of meat you have and bulks up the meal so you feel satisfied without consuming too many calories.

Curried Chicken Salad Wrap
Serves 4

1/2 pound of chicken breast, cooked and diced
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 cup of grapes, halved
1 apple, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 whole wheat small tortilla

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Preheat oven to 350.  Place 1 cup of salad mixture in the center of a wrap.  Wrap or fold in half and place in oven for 10 minutes.  (You could also serve this cold in a wrap, on bread, or just atop a salad)

Add a side salad or a side of veggies and dinner is ready in about 20 minutes!

Curried Sauteed Veggies
Serves 4-6

1 eggplant, diced
1 red pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 onion, diced
1 pound fresh green beans
2 Tbsp Thai Curry Paste (can be found at many grocery stores)
1/2 cup Almond milk
1 tsp olive oil
Pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients except the red pepper in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. During the last 5 minutes, add the red pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!