Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Lightened-Up" Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls

Cinnamon Buns are great for the holidays or for a special occasion for breakfast (or in my case, dessert!)  I have never had a Cinnabon cinnamon roll before.  Their aroma is so enticing, but I always manage to keep walking by the stand in the mall.  After looking at the nutrition facts online I was flabbergasted to see that 1 of those cinnamon rolls has 880 calories a whooping 127 g carbphydrates, and 36 g of fat (17 saturated).  After seeing that, I was relieved that I never indulged in one.  If they do call your name the next time in the mall split one with a few friends or go for the cinnamon stix which are a healthier choice.

Instead, I decided to try to create a clone of the Cinnabon cinnamon roll... except smaller and definitely healthier.  The closest cinnamon bun I've ever made (although delicious) is the Pillsbury kind out of a package.  When I was looking up recipes I didn't realize how much work and time went into making these and I almost bailed on the idea, but I thought of the creamy cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting and I managed to pull out my mixing bowls and bread maker.

Tis the Season...My boyfriend convinced me to make them with a pumpkin dough (it's his favorite).  So it wasn't exactly what I had planned to make, but I knew I could trust any of King Arthur flour recipes.  I lightened these up a bit by using Smart Balance light instead of butter, which has half of the calories and no saturated fat.  I also replaced half of the sugar with Splenda.  Plus, the pumpkin in the mix gives extra moisture and cuts out about half of the butter.  These came out gooey, sweet, and full of cinnamon goodness! Did I mention that they were about 1/4 of the calories of the Cinnabon bun.
The downside:  These buns take a few hours to make because the dough has to rise, but they are worth the effort.  You can freeze them in individual baggies too!


"Lightened-Up" Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls
Makes 18

Dough:
1 cup of canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp lukewarm water
1/4 cup Smart Balance Light
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Rapid Acting yeast

Filling:
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup granulated Splenda
1/4 cup brown sugar

Frosting:
3/4 cup of confectioners sugar
1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
1/4 cup smart balance light
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
-Mix and knead all of the ingredients for the dough in a bowl or a bread maker, on the dough setting.  It should be fairly sticky when complete.  Place the ball of dough in a lightly greased bowl.  Cover and allow to rise for 90 minutes or until it doubles in size.
-Turn out on a lightly greased and floured surface and roll it out thin, until it is in a rectangle about 14 by 22 inches.
-Mix the filling together and sprinkle evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving one side, about 2 inches, without filling.
-Cut the dough in half so it is easier to roll. Starting with the shorter size with filling roll the dough up into a log.  Cut into 1 inch rolls.
-Place in a lightly greased 9x13" cooking pan.  Set aside and allow to rise for 45 minutes, or until they look puffy.
-Preheat the oven to 375.  Bake for 25-30 minutes and they are lightly browned.  While cooking, make the cream cheese frosting by beating all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Allow to cool for 15 minutes.  Bring the frosting to room temperature and drizzle over the cinnamon buns.  Enjoy while warm!

Nutrition Facts: 1 Cinnamon Bun
150 calories, 28 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fat, 5 g protein, 2 g fiber, 192 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!