Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Smokey Chicken and Pepper Quesadilla

I know I have been posting "Taco Tuesdays"but I figured this was close enough and sounded much more appetizing to me tonight.  I love transforming (or disguising) leftovers as a new and different meal.  After cooking a roasted chicken meal the other day I had plenty of leftovers.  This is one of the meals that I made with the leftover chicken.  You could also make this with fresh chicken, just cook it with the spices until it is no longer pink in the middle.  If using leftovers this meal is ready in a snap and tastes better than any takeout!

I just discovered smoked paprika and I'm totally addicted.  It gives dishes a nice southwestern flavor with just a speck of heat.  Most grocery stores carry it, but it can be a bit pricy.  Believe me, its worth the 6 dollar investment!  Because I like most of my food spicy I added a bit of hot sauce and jalepenos to get my taste buds fired up.

To complete any Mexican dish in my house I always serve Green Mt. Gringo salsa.  It is by far my favorite salsa and has such a fresh flavor and texture.  I know that most stores in Vermont sell it, but you can also get it online at http://www.greenmountaingringo.com/shop.php

Smokey Chicken Quesadilla
Serves 4

3/4 pound chicken, sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp hot sauce (I used Arizona Gunslinger)
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
pickled or fresh jalepenos
1/3 cup cheddar cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas*

Salsa
Low-fat sour cream

*I ran out of whole wheat tortillas, so I used one spinach "FlatOut" and 1 white tortilla

Spray a pan with non-stick spray and add the first 6 ingredients together. Cook for 5 minutes or until warm.  Place the tortilla on a non-stick spray and coat with cooking spray, set to medium heat.  Add 3 Tbsp cheddar cheese on one half of the tortilla and top with 1/2 cup of the chicken and onion/pepper mixture.  Add jalepenos and fold the tortilla in half over itself.  Cook 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.  Cut into three pieces and serve with salsa and low-fat sour cream for dipping. Complete the meal with a side salad.

Nutrition Facts: 430 calories, 43 g carbohydrates, 34 g protein, 15 g fat, 7 g fiber, 600 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!