Thursday, September 29, 2011

Vermont Apple Crisp

One of my favorites times of the year is fall and there is no better place to spend it than Vermont.  The trees are changing colors and the farm stands are full of root vegetables, pumpkins, and winter squash and the harvest fairs are loads of fun.

But best of all is apple picking.  I can honestly say that I have never missed a year of delicious Vermont apples (Macintosh are my favorite).  Many people choose apple pie as their signature apple dessert, but mine is definitely apple crisp.  There is something so delightful about cinnamon apples and a crumbly oat crust that I can't get enough of.  Over the years I have lightened up on the butter and sugar and realized that it is just as tasty because the apples are so fresh and have so much flavor.  This is the first time I used whole wheat flour in the topping, so I'm hoping I don't regret it!  I like extra oats in my topping so it gets nice and crunchy... I adjust my recipe by cutting back on the amount of flour.

To Pie or to Crisp?  Double layer pie crusts equal double the calories and fat.  By switching to a crisp you slash the calories and saturated fat by at least half. Plus, you get a good serving of oats in your dessert!

I used a mixture of Cortland and Macintosh in this apple crisp to bring this apple crisp to life.  Macintosh apples are quite tart and break down fairly easy, while Cortland apples are a bit milder and hold their shape throughout the baking process.

Vermont Apple Crisp
Serves 10

2.5-3 pounds of apples, cored and sliced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 Tbsp Smart Balance light, cut into pieces
1 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350.  Mix first three ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.  Add the remaining ingredients in another bowl and mix well with your hands until it becomes crumbly.  Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray.  Add the apple mixture and top with the cinnamon oat mixture.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden.  Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup serving
215 calories, 45 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 4 g fat, 5 g fiber, 85 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!