Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Applesauce!

I needed to find something to do with a 1/2 bushel of newly picked Vermont apples and I must admit I am getting a bit sick of baked goods being around the house (even though I try to give as many away as possible).  So I decided to make a large batch of applesauce.  This is seriously the easiest thing to make if you have a large quantity of apples on hand.  If you have time to peel and quarter the apples, the actual cooking time is just about an hour.  Better yet, the only ingredients you need are apples and cinnamon.  Homemade applesauce with fresh apples doesn't require any added sugars, so you can put your measuring cup away!  

Applesauce is a great snack (at about 80 calories per 1/2 cup) and filled fiber and healthy carbohydrates.  It can also be used in baking recipes, and as a topping for meats (pork or chicken).  

Make a large batch of this yummy treat so you have it for winter!  It stays fresh in the refrigerator for 7-10 days and freezes well!  If you want to can them so they last longer than that... you will first need to sanitize the jars (the dishwasher works just fine).  Then fill the jars until almost full and place them in a boiling water bath for about 20 minutes.  Using tongs, remove the jars from the water bath and allow to cool.  

Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce
Makes 2 pints (16 servings)

Ingredients: 
15 apples, or 2.5 pounds of apples (I used Macintosh)
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:
Peel and quarter the apples.  Place in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add cinnamon and cook for ~1 hour, or until the apples or smooth, stirring every 10-15 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. one hour??? I cook them about 10-15 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I did a large batch I cooked them low and slow... I feel like it brings out their natural sweetness. But I'm sure you can make them quicker over a warmer temperature! :)

    ReplyDelete

Print!