Saturday, November 12, 2011

Homemade Banana Pudding!

I hope you're not banana'd out after my banana bread and banana granola bars because this recipe is good!  Banana pudding is super popular in the Southern states, but I'm bringing the spirit up to New England.  Most often it is served as a vanilla pudding with vanilla wafers and sliced bananas.  I switched it up and added mashed bananas to the pudding so it is full of banana flavor.  Layer with crushed graham crackers, fresh sliced bananas, and top it with a dollop of whipped cream and you have a healthy dessert!

For those of you that have a hard time getting in three sevings of dairy, pudding as a dessert helps you get a little bit of calcium!  This recipe is inexpensive and easy to make (the hands-on time is only about 20 minutes). Using very overripe bananas makes it easy to create that smooth and delicious texture you might expect from a pudding. 

Homemade Banana Pudding
Serves 8

3.5 cups skim milk
1/3 plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
3 very ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe banana
1 cup crushed graham crackers
Whipped topping


Directions: In a large bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, salt, cornstarch, eggs and egg yolk, and ripe bananas.  Set aside. Heat 3 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of sugar until it comes to a gentle boil.  Add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture, stirring constantly.  Place back in the saucepan and cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes, to allow to thicken (should be the consistency of mayonnaise).  Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours

To make a layered banana pudding trifle: Use small serving dishes or wine glasses.  Spoon 1/4 cup of pudding into the glass, sprinkle 2 Tbsp of graham cracker crumbs, spoon 1/4 cup of pudding on top.  Add a layer of sliced bananas and top with 1/4 cup of pudding and a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip


Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup of pudding with toppings
220 calories, 12 g protein, 40 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 1 g fiber,

5 comments:

  1. The ingredients list shows 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, but no where in the directions does it mention when to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the mishap and thanks for pointing that out. The vanilla extract should be added in with the milk and sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, thanks for the easy banana pudding recipe. I was looking for one that used mashed over-ripe bananas and yours came the closest to what I wanted. I had already bought a box of vanilla instant pudding mix, so I used less corn starch and added the boxed mix. It came out great. I enjoy your down to earth style of writing. Being a Vermonter and having gone to St. Michael's College I was happy to see that you are from Winooski. Usually when I am looking up recipes or reading food blogs online, they turn out to be written by folks in the South or in California. Now I want to try that Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla that you described in March. Ok, happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carl,
    Glad that you liked it! It's always nice to know who my readers are and a little bit about themselves! I <3 Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cooked it at home once, it was not good. But I will try your recipe. I hope I will make good this time.

    ReplyDelete

Print!