Monday, March 26, 2012

Fiber-full Muffins


I usually have a bowl of Kashi GoLean, bran flakes, or oatmeal for breakfast, but occasionally I like to switch it up. Plus, I love to bake on my days off. I seem to get lost in the kitchen and it just feels good!

These sweet muffins are packed with oatmeal, sunflower seeds, prunes, and dried blueberries for a super-filling breakfast on the go. Who said that muffins have to be full of fats and sugar to taste good?  I believe that with portion control and the right recipe, that muffins and sweets can be a part of anyone’s diet. These have flaxseed meal in them for a nutrition boost and extra serving of Omega-3 fatty acids (heart healthy fats).

Because I have sweet tooth, I try to come up with creative ways to satisfy my cravings without adding inches around the waistline. The fiber and protein in these kept me satisfied until lunch (holding me over longer than my oatmeal or regular cereal breakfast. Pair one with a hard boiled egg if you need a little more for breakfast.


Fiber-full Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 cup of old-fashioned oats
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
¾ Tbsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp Brummel and Brown spread
1 cup skim milk
1 egg
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup dried blueberries (or raisins)
½ cup dried prunes, chopped
¼ cup flax seed meal

Preheat the oven to 425.
Mix oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger and stir. Cut in the Brummel and Brown (should get slightly chunky).
Beat the egg into the milk in a small bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture in. Stir until barely moistened.
Add the sunflower seeds, blueberries, prunes, and flaxseed
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Best when served warm!

Nutrition Facts: 1 muffin
180 calories, 34 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 4 g fat, 4 g fiber, 170 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!