Thursday, April 5, 2012

Garlic Sesame Whole Wheat Crackers



This is my first attempt at making homemade crackers and it was messy… but far easier than I would have thought! This recipe costs a fraction of the price of boxed crackers and they tasted so fresh and crunchy! Plus you can swap out different flavors depending on what you want to serve them with! I went with a garlic sesame cracker because I thought they would be fabulous with my homemade hummus. Nutrition bonus: Add flax seeds for extra Omega 3 fatty acids!

Garlic Sesame Whole Wheat Crackers
Makes 5 Dozen Crackers (2 pans)
 
Ingredients:
1 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat flour
1 cup King Arthur All-purpose flour
¾- 1 cup of lukewarm water
2 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp Margarine Spread or sesame oil
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt

Topping:
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds

¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup flax seeds
1 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
1) To make the dough: Mix and knead together all of the cracker ingredients (except the seeds) to a smooth, fairly stiff dough. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water if the dough is dry.

2) Knead in the seeds.

3) Let the dough rise, covered, for 60 to 90 minutes, until it's expanded a bit.

4) Divide the dough in half. Working with one piece at a time, roll it into a rectangle approximately 14" x 9", a generous 1/8" thick. This will probably require you to roll the dough until it fights back; give it a 10-minute rest, then come back and roll some more.

5) Preheat the oven to 350, place the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes. Sprinkle the toppings on top of each piece of dough.

6) Prick the dough over with a fork, and cut it into rectangles, whatever size you like. Preheat the oven to 350. Let the crackers rise for 15-30 minutes.
7) Bake for 20 minutes, until the crackers are a medium brown. Turn off the heat, wait 15 minutes. Remove from heat to cool. Separate crackers and store in an air tight container.
Nutrition Facts: 6 crackers (1.5” cubes)
125 calories, 19 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 4 g fat, 3 g fiber, 120 mg sodium


2 comments:

  1. Have you made any modifications to this recipe since you posted it? I saw a huge bag of sesame seeds in my freezer the other day and realize I could start making my own crackers! Plus I have a lot of my own home-grown, home-made garlic powder, too. Thanks.
    Diana Dyer, MS, RD
    www.dianadyer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,
    I have not made these since... I don't know why because they were soo good. I'm sure they would be that much better knowing that you made the garlic powder too! :)

    Best and happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

Print!