Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ground Cherries



During my adventure to the Rutland Farmers Market I came across an interesting fruit and decided I had to give it a try. With their papery husks, they looked similar to tomatillos, and sure enough they are in the same family. These fruits are known by several names: The farmer I bought them from called them drop cherries, but are also known as husk cherries, or cape gooseberries. They grow native around Vermont so keep your eyes open for them on the sides of the road! If they are still green in the inside, wait for them to turn an orangish color, to assure ripeness.

They have a sweet, tropical-like flavor and kind of pop in your mouth. I think they are delicious raw. Try them in a summer salad with a light, fruity vinaigrette. If you have an abundance of them I hear they freeze well (husked first). Or you can turn them into a delicious jam or batch of muffins! 

Health Benefits: These tiny fruits are packed with lots of nutrition. They are a great source of Vitamin A and C, and you can guess by their color they have an abundance of phytochemicals as well. One cup of these is only ~75 calories, so they are a great snack if you are craving something sweet.

2 comments:

  1. I have a big bag of these at work for snacking on currently- picked them from the plants in front of our house yesterday :) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very jealous, I wish they grew in my yard! :)
    Plans for any recipes?

    ReplyDelete

Print!