Sunday, August 19, 2012

New England Lobster Meal

This weekend I prepared a romantic dinner for my boyfriend and I. I have never killed more than a fly, so I was a little nervous about steaming these lobsters. The anticipation while I waited for the water to boil (took about 25 minutes) was not making it any easier. In the end, it wasn't so bad... no screaming or hissing from the lobsters or myself. Lobster is one of the messiest and smelliest meals to eat, but it is actually quite simple to prepare. When you can get fresh Maine lobster at $6.99 per pound, how can you go wrong? 


The traditional lobster dinner gets a bad rep because it is typically served with about 1/2 cup of melted butter (def not good for the waistline or the arteries). Lobster sans all the butter is actually a very light dinner (about 115 calories per 1 pound lobster). Where we got wrong is with all that melted butter. So, be cautious of how often you dip and you can enjoy this delicious dinner while still staying on track. After all, lobster has a wonderfully rich flavor on its own and doesn't need to be smothered in butter with every bite! Balance your plate with a nice green vegetable or garden salad to fill up.

I picked up some purple boiler potatoes, kale, and sweet corn at the Farmer's Market so that made up the rest of the meal! I actually roasted the potatoes with olive oil, basil, and rosemary and they can out delicious. My favorite way to enjoy kale is by sautéing with onions and garlic, (I added 1 slice of chopped bacon for extra flavor). The result: an amazing dinner and a happy boyfriend!

Cooking Lobster: A step by step guide
Boiling is the easiest way to prepare a lobster, here's how its done!

1.Bring about 6 inches of water to a boil in a large pot with a cover. You may add 1/4 cup salt, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 chopped onion, and a bay leaf to add a bit of extra flavor.
2. Clip off the rubber bands of the live lobster
3. Place the lobster in the pot, head first, cover and boil for 12-15 minutes. It is done when the lobster turns red.

So go out and grab some fresh lobsters to enjoy a New England Lobster Meal, you won't regret!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!