Friday, October 5, 2012

Cucumber, Feta, and Chickpea Salad

I love Indian food, but in rural Vermont there isn't much of a crowd for that type of food. So instead I find myself experimenting with different flavors and recipes. Definitely not the same flavors, but it gets me through.

I picked up some local Maplebook feta cheese at the Rutland Farmer's Market. The producer convinced me to buy the block in water vs. already crumbled and I'm so glad I did. The flavor and texture is so much more rich and creamy! :) It's a perfect ingredient for this Indian-inspired cucumber salad.

Greek yogurt is a great low fat, high protein ingredient for dips and sauces. This dish has all the ingredients of Tzatiki sauce, but is not pureed into a sauce, for a great side dish. Served with baked curried chicken (or without if going vegetarian), naan, and salad and this meal is complete.

Making naan is super easy... recipe here, or you can find the Stonehearth brand in the bakery section of most supermakets.

Cucumber, Feta, and Chickpea Salad
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1/4 cup 0% greek yogurt
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp fresh chopped or dried dill weed

2 cucumbers, sliced and quartered
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup feta cheese
pinch of cayenne powder
pepper, to taste

Directions:
Mix the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl
Mix the remaining ingredients into the sauce, refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Serve cold

Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup
100 calories, 6 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat, 4 g fiber, 47 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!