Sunday, November 18, 2012

Meatless Monday...Seared Sweet Chili Tofu with Rice Noodles



I apologize to anyone out there that follows my blog…I have not been updating you as often as I would like to. Maybe it’s the cold weather, or my new addiction to Instagram, or maybe just because life is just hectic, but I promise I’m going to get back into the swing of things.
After I posted this photo on Instagram one of my friends asked me to blog the recipe, so here we go. This is a super easy dinner ready in about 20 minutes. Did I mention that its pretty easy on the wallet?

I have been experimenting with some different varieties of tofu (sprouted, black soybeans, tofu plus) and plan to do a blog on that later this week.  Any extra firm tofu will do for this recipe.

Will you join me for Meatless Monday? It's easy... just avoid meat on Mondays to help make a difference.
 
Seared Chili Tofu with Rice Noodles and Napa Cabbage
Serves 4

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 package of extra firm tofu
1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
½ package of Asian rice noodles
1 small head of Napa Cabbage, cut into 1”slices
¼ cup rice vinegar
Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.)    Drain and press the tofu between paper towels.
2.)    Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat and start a pot of water for the rice noodles (cook as directed)
3.)    Cook the tofu on each side for about 5 minutes or until brown. Remove from heat and brush a tsp of chili sauce on each piece.
4.)    Add 2 Tbsp of water to a covered pot. Add cabbage and steam for 5 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp of rice vinegar after cooking.
5.)    Drain the rice noodles toss with remaining sweet chili sauce and rice vinegar.
6.)    Serve hot and enjoy!

Nutrition facts: ¾ cup pasta, 3 oz of tofu, 1 cup of cabbage
340 calories, 12 g protein, 55 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 3 g fiber, 50 mg sodium























5 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious meal for Meatless Monday. Also if we have have a Tofu Tuesday, this will be great dish for that also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I used to do tofu or taco Tuesday. Loved them both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, I like the Tofu Tuesday idea Chuck!I use my EZ Tofu Press for getting the water out of firm and extra firm tofu, provides a good texture and flavor absorption! What are your thoughts on grapeseed oil instead of canola? I started using recently as it has a high flashpoint and supposedly better for you. your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's time for me to invest in a tofu press because the papertowel/frying pan deal is getting a bit old. (Hey not a bad thing to add to a Christmas list).

    As for the grapeseed oil, it is not an oil that I am very familiar with. It has a milder taste and a higher smoke point making it a better option for stir frying/sauteing. Nutritionally they are both low in saturated fats, but olive oil is higher in monounsaturated fats (MUFAs), which are typically thought of as a superior choice. Grapeseed oil also has also has a healthy dose of Vitamin E for additional antioxidant properties. I think they are both great choices and would use their smoke point/flavor differences to make a decision in your cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Print!