Sunday, December 9, 2012

Gluten Free Flax Flatbread

Did you know that flaxseeds are the #1 source of lignans (antioxidant and fiber benefits)? Flax seed meal (ground flax seeds) can be incorporated into baked goods (muffins, pancakes, breads) for additional fiber and omega 3 fatty acids! Since they are a seed they are a good source of protein and contain little amounts of carbohydrates. Did I mention that it is a great gluten free baking option???

You can find flax seed meal in the natural section of your grocery store (I like Bob's Red Mill) or in the bulk section. You may find cost savings in the bulk area.

One of my clients brought in a slice if this bread for me to try and I was instantly hooked. It is not exactly a low calorie bread, but I had it with my usual salad and it kept me so satisfied that I didn't even think about my afternoon snack. This recipe is perfect for individuals following a low carbohydrate diet as each slice only has 6 grams of carbohydrates. I played with the original recipe a bit (it had more fat in it) and it ended up coming out just as fluffy and delicious. I was surprised how easy and quick it was to make as well. It was an all-around great experience.

You can use this as a bread for a sandwich, base for a pizza, or toasted for a filling breakfast. For a sweeter breakfast (or dessert) add a dollop of greek yogurt and fresh or frozen berries!

Gluten Free Flax Flatbread
Makes 12 slices

2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 beaten eggs or Egg Beaters
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp canola oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350, spray an 8x10 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, and make a well in the center.
3. Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl and combine with dry ingredients.
4. Let sit for 2-3 minutes (don't let it sit too long or it will thicken up to much).
5. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly to the corners.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top springs back up.
7. Cool and cut into 12 slices.

Nutrition facts: 1 slice (if cut into 12 slices)
125 calories, 6 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (1 gram saturated), 6 g fiber, 150 mg sodium

Let me know what you all think!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print!